Dental schools that Take Patients and do dental work for free – Dental services are expensive and often out of the budget for low-income families in America. A routine teeth cleaning and examination can cost nearly $200. Similarly, single cavity filling will cost $250 while braces may cost you thousands of dollars. Fortunately, you can avail free or cheap dental care and services at dental schools that are located in every state across the nation.
The main benefit of seeking dental services from dental school is that you can receive services at affordable rates. Dental schools provide an opportunity for people to reduce the cost of professional dental care and enable students to acquire hands-on experience in treating people. This guide will cover free dental schools in all the states of America.
Highlights of this Post
How Dental Schools Work To Provide Low-Cost Or Free Dental Services?
Dental schools are located throughout the country and are a viable source to get low-cost and quality dental treatment, particularly for low-income families. There are clinics run by dental schools where students help to provide dental services and treatment at discounted or reduced prices, sometimes free of cost.
Licensed and experienced dentists closely monitor and supervise these treatments performed by dental school students therefore the appointments may take longer time than usual. These supervisors will check each and every step that the dental student works on the patient’s teeth so you can get peace of mind. It is important to weigh both the pros and cons of dental schools to learn what you must expect from dental schools before making an informed decision.
The Pros And Cons Of Seeking Assistance From Dental Schools?
The pros of seeking assistance from dental schools include the following points.
- The Commission On Dental Accreditation accredits dental schools in America
- Dental treatments are comparatively cheaper and you can get discounts of up to 50% or more. This also includes preventive care, surgical procedures and restorative care
- Low-income families can receive dental procedures and treatment completely free of cost
- Licensed dentists supervise the overall procedure, and check each and every step to make sure dental students provide quality care through their dental work and all the things are done correctly.
The cons of seeking assistance from dental school include the following points.
- Dental procedures including appointments in dental schools take longer time compared to private dentist offices.
- Not all dental services and treatments are available at dental schools
- Students who take care of treatment and provide services and dental schools are inexperienced and a mistake may likely happen despite professional supervision.
- Patients have to wait for the availability of appointments at dental schools
- Patients are required to go to the campus of dental schools to get the treatment personally and this may be a problem if you have to commute a long distance and if the school is located far away from your place.
Who Qualifies For Free Or Cheap Services At Dental Schools?
Several dental schools throughout the United States of America provide dental services at reduced rates. Following is the group of people who can easily qualify for cheap or free services at dental schools.
- The Elderly
- Disabled individuals
- Medically and mentally compromised people
- Low-income individuals with limited resources.
To become a patient at a local dental school you need to undergo a screening process that will determine your eligibility and suitability. It is important to match your dental or oral needs with the training needs of the student.
If qualified you will be assigned a dental student who can provide you free or low-cost dental procedures. A few dental schools charge a non-refundable fee for the overall screening process. You need to check with the dental school to learn if there are pretreatment fees that you have to pay.
What Are The Different Dental Services Or Hygiene Programs That Dental Schools Offer?
Dental schools provide a wide array of dental procedures and services such as the following
- Dental crowns
- Dental fillings
- Tooth extractions
- Root canal therapy
- Wisdom tooth removal
- Cosmetic veneers and dental implants in some cases.
Dental hygiene schools on the other hand offer preventive care services like fluoride treatments, teeth cleanings, dental cleaning and oral hygiene instructions. You can save hundreds of dollars on dental service centers and treatment by referring to having your dental care completed at your local dental school. Dental schools do not offer payment plans or take dental insurance so to receive the reduced care you have to pay upfront for the procedure.
How Can I Become A Patient At A Dental School?
Find A School That Takes Patients
You can visit the State Board of Dental Examiners website to find a local dental school that accepts patients. Each state has its own licensing and credentialing board that oversees dental schools and dentists. You can look up credentialed dental schools in your state on the website.
Get On The List
You need to call the local dental school and let them know about your problems and if you are interested in receiving treatment at their facility. The process may take several days, weeks or months to get an appointment and they can put you on a waiting list. A lot of schools follow a conventional semester scheduling for their coursework.
Get Low Cost Or Free Dental Care
Dental students provide reduced or free dental work so you need to perform a bit of research before calling them. You can go in for X-rays, examination or treatment plan work. This will help you to know the treatment that you need. It can be a time-consuming process and may require multiple appointments but is one of the best ways to get free or reduced internal care near you.
You can also contact a local dental hygiene school to get teeth cleaning, periodontal evaluation, oral cancer screening, X-ray and other care from dental hygiene schools. Similar to dental schools, hygiene programs are also available on your dental state board website.
Recommended: Free Tooth Extraction and Dentures the Same Day
How Can I Find A Dental School Near Me?
There are 70 accredited dental schools located throughout the United States of America that provide cheap or free dental service programs. Few states have more than one dental school.
The availability of dental services and treatment may vary by school. For instance, the Loma Linda University School of Dentistry provides different dental services from the University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry. We have listed a few ways that can help you in searching dental schools in your area.
Nowadays, you can find almost everything when you search online. It is one of the most effective and easiest ways that can help you to find dental schools near your location. All you have to do is to search for dental schools near me and you will get a lot of results about dental schools that offer cheap dental services.
Check The Website Of American Dental Association
American Dental Association is a well known organization that provides a list of reputed dental schools and colleges. You can also visit their official website to get detailed information about dental schools based on your current location. Apart from that you can also get information about various dental treatments.
Contact A Local Dental Hygiene School
You can also get dental work from a nearby dental hygiene school in your area. The dental hygiene schools offer dental treatments to the patients. If you are looking for dental works at low or reduced price then this place is definitely for you.
Search Dental Schools Physically
Another way you can find dental works at reduced prices is to search for dental schools and colleges in your area. However, dental schools are mainly located in nearby towns and cities. If you are living in any rural area then it can be difficult for you to find these dental schools and you may have to go to cities or towns to get your dental work done.
Note: It is better to seek other options if you have urgent attention such as dental pain, an emergency, a large cavity or an abscessed tooth. If you are unable to get in touch with a dental school or have been put on a long waiting list then you can look for community dental clinics.
Recommended: $99 dentures Places to get $99 dentures in a day
What Are The Top Dental Schools That Provide Low-Cost Dental Care (By State)?
A lot of states provide low-cost or free dental services through local dental schools. These dental programs have dental students who require hands-on training before their graduation. The exact cost of dental services generally depends on the type of program you are choosing.
Low-cost dental programs provide free doctoral, allied and advanced dental education programs. Following is the list of dental schools organized by state that provide low-cost free dental work. An important thing to note is that all these dental schools are accredited by the Commission On Dental Accreditation.
- University of Alabama School of Dentistry at UAB
- University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry
- Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona
- A.T. Still University Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health
- Loma Linda University of Dentistry
- California North State University College Of Dental Medicine
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry
- Herman Ostrow School Of Dentistry of the University Of Southern California
- University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
- San Diego Dental Careers
- University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
- University of Colorado Denver School of Dental Medicine
District of Columbia
- LECOM College of Dental Medicine
- Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
- University of Florida College of Dentistry
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
- Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (Alton, IL)
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- Harvard University School of Dental Medicine
- Boston University Henry M. Goldman school of Dental Medicine
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry
- A.T. Still University Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health
- Kansas City University College of Dental Medicine
- State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- New York University College of Dentistry
- Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine
- Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College
- University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Adams School of Dentistry
- East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- Temple University The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry
- Lincoln Memorial University College of Dental Medicine
- Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
- University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
- Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry
- The University of Texas School At Dentistry at Houston
- University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio Dental School
- UT Health Houston School of Dentistry
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Woody L. Hunt School of Dental Medicine
- University of Utah School of Dentistry
- Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
Recommended: Free Dental Braces Grants & Financial help
Other Ways To Get Low Cost Or Free Dental Care
Apart from dental schools there are many ways in which you can receive low-cost free dental care such as the following.
1. Public Dental Clinics
Public Dental clinics are funded by state or local health departments, taxpayers and community health centers and charge sliding fees or low prices depending on the financial situation of the patient.
2. Free Dental Clinics
A lot of charities, nonprofit organizations, professional dental organizations and faith-based groups organized free or low-cost dental clinics with long waiting lists. You need to meet certain eligibility criteria to qualify for free or local dental services.
Recommended: Where To Get Best Affordable Dentures Care
3. Government Dental Coverage Programs
There are a lot of federally funded dental coverage programs that offer low-cost or free dental care to specific groups of people such as the following.
Medicare is a health insurance program for senior citizens who are 65 years old and above in age and people with certain disabilities. The dental coverage is limited to dentures and does not cover routine dental care services.
Medicaid is a state-run program that offers medical as well as limited dental benefits to low-income families. Every state has its own rules regarding the eligibility and covered services of the Medicaid program.
The Children’s Health Insurance Program provides medical services to kids up to 19 years of age without any health insurance and the dental service coverage may depend from one state to another.
This site helps low-income families to learn about low-cost health and dental insurance options for their children and teenagers.
Veterans in the United States are eligible for VA Dental Care benefits and may receive some or all of their dental care.
4. Dental Savings Plan
Dental savings plans also known as dental discount plans are a good alternative to costly dental insurance that is available to low-income families. They provide discounted rates for dental services and treatments that oral surgeons, orthodontists and dentists within their network provide.
Depending on the type of program you choose your membership fee will generally include dental benefits like dental examination, X-ray, teeth cleaning, fluid and discounts on treatments.
5. Clinical Trials
You can get monetary compensation or receive free dental or medical care occasionally by participating in clinical trials. A lot of clinical trials are available at learning institutions. If you are lucky enough and can meet the eligibility criteria of the examination process then you can get free dental treatment.
Dental treatments are a costly affair however it is important to lead a healthy and quality life. It is not a smart decision to delay oral and dental care until something worse happens as it will make your problems more severe. Fortunately, there are low-cost or free dental work options available and dental schools for low-income families. These options are listed above and you can check out the resources if you’re looking for quality and affordable dental care in your state. In this way, people can maintain good oral health and hygiene without breaking the bank.
Read more about the Cost of Dental relines and where to find an affordable price at our blog at Get Government Grants. Our guide will cover all the resources that will support you in your need.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Is it possible to get dental coverage from a marketplace?
Yes, it is possible to get dental coverage from a marketplace. There are generally two ways to find dental coverage in the marketplace and it is under the health plan. Dental coverage will help you in reducing the treatment cost of dental services.
How can I find low-cost dental care?
It can be really a difficult problem to get dental treatment when you have low income. If you want dental work at a reduced price then you can visit dental schools and colleges. Apart from that you can also try other places and programs like CHIP, local health departments, state and local resources, Medicare or Medicaid and many more.
How much do dentures cost?
The cost for getting your upper and lower dentures is around $2448. You should understand that getting your dentures is quite expensive. Dentures are done to replace a missing tooth and the procedure is a costly one.
Is it safe getting your dental treatment done by a dental school student?
Dental schools and colleges have a lot of students who want to gain experience. You do not have to worry as they perform dental treatment on patients under the guidance of highly skilled and experienced doctors. You can completely rely that they will be providing you the best treatment.
How can I find dental schools near me?
There are various options to find dental schools near you. You can try searching online about dental schools. You can also try visiting dental schools in your area and get detailed information about the dental treatment procedure. Apart from that you can also try contraction Dental Hygiene School and American Dental Association for dental works at a reduced rate.
What type of dental treatments are offered by dental schools and colleges?
The dental schools and colleges offer various types of services and treatments. These treatments are performed by students under the guidance of skilled and experienced doctors. The types of treatment that are offered are tooth extraction, dentures, dental implants, root canals and many more.